Eyelash extensions are specialized enhancements done to eyelashes to increase their length and thickness. They improve the attraction, appeal and beauty of your eyes. They are made from synthetic fiber and are comfortable,light and seem natural. Quality eyelash extensions are done in salons by qualified and competent therapists. They fall off as natural eyelashes fall(which is a normal occurrence) and may last for up to 12 weeks with proper care and maintenance.
Effects of Eyelash extensions on the health of the eye
- Loss of eyelash: Accidental damage to your eyelashes may occur if the extensions are worn for a long time. For those whose hair follicles are weak, permanent loss of hair may occur.
- Increase in eye sensitivity: This occurs to those with sensitive skins. The glue that holds the extensions to the eyelashes may cause skin irritation or allergy.
- Eye infection: If your extensions are done by unqualified therapists, there is a huge risk of suffering an injury to the eye. The glue may cause eye infections. Also, if poor quality of extensions are used, bacteria may find their way into the eye.
However all these can be avoided by ensuring that the procedure is done professionally at a licensed beautician.
- Ensure that the person carrying out the procedure is a renowned expert in the field. Ideally, he or she should be registered by a professional body in the cosmetics.
- Check that the glue used does not react negatively with your skin.
- Be comfortable and calm during the procedure. No pain should be felt at all.
- Avoid contact with water for the first 24 hours after the procedure.
Note that when done professionally, eyelash extensions do not present any danger. As a matter of fact, they have several advantages which include:
- They are light,darker and easily visible. They make you look better.
- They are water resistant .
- They are efficient for people who wear contact lenses.
- Since they look natural, people will think they are your ‘real’ eyelashes.